The Africa Nouveau festival is back. The annual Pan-African arts & cultural event which was first held in 2015 is a concept that seeks to bring together music, food, art and style mavericks and trendsetters from all over Africa and the diaspora. Conceptualized and organized by the team behind Blankets and Wine, the Africa Nouveau festival is a confirmation of the renaissance currently happening all over Africa. The event will be happening in from 2nd to 4th February. All the info you need to know is on the festival website, however, I put together 10 things you need to know about this exciting festival that lives up to guiding principles of being the premier Pan-African platform that brings together the most progressive creators and consumers of culture to manifest creative consciousness.
1. The Festival will be 2 nights and 2 days. Starts on Friday evening at 4 pm on 2nd Feb and ends on 4th Feb Sunday night at 10 pm. What this means is that some folks might event be tempted to camp there as the festival will go on till very late every day till Sunday. No camping facilities are available for now.
2. The Festival will be at the Ngong Race Course Waterfront
3.The theme of this year’s festival is #AfroBubblegum think of it like the Harlem Rennaissance. It’s about capturing and celebrating a growing consciousness among African Millennials and their expression through creative works.
4. The highlight of the festival will be a performance by South Africa’s Senzo Mfundo Vilakazi also known as Kwesta. He is currently one of the most sought-after African Rapper.
5. There will be a total of 7 different experiences; A fashion market, culinary art, film, a solar garden, music, wellness and a fashion movement
6. There is a line up of 23 performance artists who will be performing at the live music stage
7.The performance artist line up will be representing 6 countries namely Uganda, Senegal, DRC, South Africa, Sao Tome E Principe and Kenya
8.There will be an after-hours DJ stage that will have 6 DJs
9.Two new music albums will be launched at the festival, one by Muthoni DQ titles ‘SHE’ and ‘Project Greatness by Sichangi
10. The event will be solar powered and will feature bicycle pedaled charging stations for your phones